Monday, December 3, 2007

The Birth Story

Strap in boys, this is a long one! December 8th, 2006, started like any other day. If you call being in the hospital pregnant with the babies normal. Anyway, it started out the same as any other morning. My breakfast tray came and I ate my Rice Krispies, banana, drank my milk and my Ensure and settled in for a day of TV and scrap booking. I was having an ultrasound that day, and Dr. Papa always came early in the morning so I decided I would take my morning nap before she got there. I know I was only awake for like and hour, but who knew that sitting up to eat a bowl of cereal could make you feel like you ran a marathon. So I got up to go throw up, gross I know but I did it after every meal, go to the restroom and settle in for my morning cat nap. I woke up an hour or two later and went down the hall to have my last ultrasound. Dr. Papa measured the babies and said they looked great and that she thought I could go another week or two. This was the first time I ever cried in front of her. I told her I would do whatever I could but I just didn't think I could make it much longer. She told me that I was doing great and she couldn't believe it took me thirty-two weeks, to complain for the first time. So she wheeled me back to my room and gave me hug and told me she would be back later in the afternoon. I called my mom bawling and told her that I was afraid I was going to not like these kids if I had to be pregnant very much longer. She calmed me down and told me that they would be down tomorrow and she had a surprise for me (she and my dad were planning on visiting that weekend). I was very cranky so I treated my self to some Jason's deli. The nurse came and hooked me up to the contraction monitor and just as I was starting to eat my well deserved club sandwich on a croissant, she told me to stop eating and lay down, I was having way to many contractions. We tried 3 boluses of the Terbutaline (that was the pump that was in my leg), and they didn't stop, so they moved me to L&D to start some Mag. By this time, it was about 4:30 in the afternoon. I called Jake and told him what was going on and he was getting ready to leave work. He was going to run by the house check on the dogs and change and then he would be up. Let me just say Mag SUCKS. It makes you feel like your insides are about 127 degrees. And you can't eat, and I still had my delectable sandwich waiting on me. Dr. Papa came by the room and said I would stay on the mag until Sunday morning and then they would put me back on the Terb. Sounding so confident, we told our families not to make the 300 mile journey down, that everything was going to be OK. Jake ate my sandwich, because he hadn't had dinner yet, and a friend from work came by to see me. We were just talking a hanging out when a nurse popped her head in the door and said, "Dr. Papa's on her way back so we can do this, let's get you ready". We were like, "Do what?", "Get ready for what?". She said "The Mag isn't working, you're having these babies tonight!" WHAT!?!?! Immediately the room filled with about 10 people getting information, taking blood, getting dressed, it was organized chaos! Jake called our families and said we were wrong that they should probably head down. It was about 8:00pm by now so they loaded up and drove in the sleet to get to us. Jake got dressed and just had the most terror stricken, panicked look on his face I had ever seen. I kept telling him to get the camera, don't forget the camera, do you have the camera, guess what, he forgot the camera. So they wheeled me in the operating room where there were about 25 people. Some of the women had just come from church, so you could hear there high heels on the floor. They gave me my epidural, strapped me to the table and started. Hudson was born and 8:56, Ella at 8:57, and Carter and 8:59. The babies were all crying when they came out which was a good sign, we didn't know if they would or not. They took the babies to the NICU and put me back together. Dr. Papa said my cervix was so thin, again gross I know, that they had to be careful not to cut the babies! My parents got there about 11:45pm, just as I was getting to my room and Jake's parents got there about 12:30am. They all got to go see the babies. I tried, but I just couldn't get out of bed. I got to see pictures though. They next few weeks, would be a whirlwind as the babies grew stronger and stronger trying to come home. As crazy as it was, I wouldn't have changed it for anything!

About ten minutes before the kids were born!

Jake is ready to go

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

I love my delivery story too...something we will never forget, huh? :)