Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Carter Jacob Barron

Dear Carter-man,
Where do I begin with you? When your were born, you were so long and skinny, you looked a little like a spider monkey, but a cute one. You were the smallest of the crew, but we would find out that your were definitely the toughest. On December 18, you and you brother and sister got really sick. Everything was going so well and then all of the sudden, we were hit with some pretty bad news. You all had intestinal infections called NEC. The bad thing about NEC, is, they don't know what causes it and they don't know how to fix it. They gave all of you a bunch of different medicines and Ella and Hudson got better. You didn't. On December 19th, they called and said that they had to put you on a ventilator, you were too sick to breathe for yourself. We rushed to the hospital and were absolutely devastated by what we saw. Your belly was so swollen and huge, you had started to turn yellow, and you would just whimper in pain. They told us your were stable to go home and get some rest. That was the last time we would see you awake for four days. On December 20th, we got a call early in the morning. You were not doing so good. They told us to come up to the hospital right away. We threw on some clothes and were out the door. They called us about 10 minutes later and told us you were being transferred to Cook Children's; you needed surgery ASAP. We met you at the hospital and watched them move you to a new bed with a giant machine that took every breath for you. I tried not to cry, but you looked so small and fragile. When they got you settled in a the new hospital, we met your new doctor and your surgeon, Dr. Bliss. Bliss told us that you had a whole in your intestine that was leaking air into your liver. Your appendix had ruptured and was leaking toxins into your body. You needed surgery, or you would not make it. I remember Bliss telling us, that you were so tiny, and that your liver was like Jello wrapped in wet tissue paper. If they touch it, you die. They took us too a little room and we sat there and waited with you until the doctors were ready for you. This is the first time, I had ever seen your Daddy cry. We didn't really feel like parents until they asked us if we wanted to say goodbye. I had no idea that I could love someone that I had only known for twelve days. But I did. We told you that we loved you, and then they took you away. We stayed in the little room by ourselves for a little while, and then we just had to wait. Two agonizing hours later, Bliss came out and said "He's OK!" You did it, you made it through. You had a colostomy bag for about 3 months and you finally got put all back together in your second surgery. You have been great ever since! OK, enough with the Debby Downer, on to the fun stuff. You started out as our mellow, laid back, never crying child. Fast forward three months after your second surgery, you became a monster, but a cute one. You are by far the loudest of the crew, and many a nights, you and me sleep together on the couch. Why the cold, crowded couch and not your nice warm bed? Who knows. You make the best noises and will bite at the drop of a hat. You are the best eater and you are no longer the smallest of the bunch. We are so proud of everything you have overcome your first year of life and know that you will continue to amaze us!



Anonymous said...

As the proud Yia Yia of these babies and the even prouder mom of you Linds, I can't begin to tell you how much I stand in awe of what you do everyday. Thank you so much from Pops and me for the next round of the best thing that has ever happened to us. We love you all so much!!!!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your blog. I found it through another blog. Your kids are so precious. Great videos and stories!!! God bless!


I found your blog through another blog also.I love how you did the stories and video of each baby.They are absolutely adorable!Happy Birthday little ones!