Monday, January 7, 2008

My name is Lindsay....

and I'm old and boring. (This is were you say "Hi Lindsay!"). Anyway, I have realized, that I am officially old and boring. OK, so twenty-three may not be old, but there is a difference b/w young, single, and fabulous twenty-three and old, married and tired twenty-three. I look at pictures of my self just a few short years ago, and I look good. Not to be conceited, but I was fairly attractive. Fast-forward a couple years, and I am a pajama wearing, no-makeup, bags under my eyes twenty-three year old mother of three. You know you are getting old and boring, when you take off a pair of pajamas, shower and put on a clean pair of pajamas. Granted, they're cute pajamas, but their still pajamas. You know you're getting old and boring, when you debated whether it's worth dragging the kids to Wal-Mart, for butter or can you survive a few more days without. When I was in college, my roommate and I ran to Wal-Mart just for the heck of it and could wander it's aisles for hours. Now you make your list in the order of where things are in the store so you can get in and out in the minimum amount of time. When the most exciting thing that happens to you, is your favorite/new TV show coming to prime time TV, you know you're old and boring. When planning your menu for the week with your significant other becomes a Sunday night ritual, you are old. When you can talk to your spouse about what flavor/scent of candle he thinks covers up the smell of baby poop, your old and boring. When you can say poop without laughing, you are old and boring. I'm not saying I'm not OK without, but I've heard the first step is admitting that you have a problem, so ...My name is Lindsay, and I'm old and boring.

This is me (in the middle) just a few years ago with my two best friends. At our wedding shower, obliviously clueless as to what would become of me in the next few years. You may not recognize me, because of my skin color, that's called a tan. You know when your used to be able to go to the pool and lay out, swim, and (gasp) relax. Ah, memories! Now you have to be all responsible and worry about things like skin cancer. Boo old and boring. Boo!

I should have prefaced this whole post by saying, in know way would I change where I am for anything else in the world. I'm just being self-aware.

6 comments:

erin said...

I don't know how I stumbled across your blog...I've been reading for a few months, just never left a comment. Anyway, this post struck a chord with me! I'm older than you by a few years (well, 6 years) but can SO relate. I am a mom to a little boy, 10 months old, and live in Plano. You are definitely busier than me by far, but I am with you on feeling 100 years old :)! Your trio is soo soo soo cute!!!! They always look so happy too! Keep up the good work!

Leslie said...

So funny about the pajamas comment. At least you put on clean ones right? And right there with you on being in the old, boring and I'm going to add for myself not as cute club. Hey I bet we've got lots of members! Maybe in our 40's we'll bounce back!

Tiffany said...

This post could have been signed by me...you really hit it on the head. I'm with Leslie on the pj's. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one that does this.

But, Thank you Lindsay. Thank you for making me feel much better about being "old" and "boring" for that matter. But think of how cool we'll be when we are the young moms and our kids are older...and everyone else is still stuck at home being "boring and old."

Joy said...

I love this post...I love that you said what so many of us feel!! Wish we lived closer so we could hang out and talk about how old and boring we are! :)

Jeannie said...

YOU ARE 23!!!??? I was always pretty happy that I was a "young" mom...3 kids before 30 (although it is only 1 month till I hit the gross 3-0!

Gibson Twins said...

I found your blog through another multiples blog... It is so sad that I can understand everything you are referencing with being "old and boring". I'm 23 too and I never ever thought I'd be spending my every waking moment entertaining babies and the highlight of my week is the weekend when we "go out shopping" aka Target, Walmart, maybe the mall if we feel up for a challenge. I never thought I'd plan my day around naps and feedings or that it would take me 2 days to prepare to take two babies out of town for a weekend. But thanks for the post- it was a great read!