Friday, April 11, 2008

So that's what it's like to be a pioneer

I know, I know, I have posted in forever. But there's been alot going on. Jake's grandfather passed away Friday afternoon, so we left Monday to go up to Tulsa for the Memorial Service on Tuesday. We came back Wednesday, and had the mother of all storms Wednesday night. We're talking the closest thing you can get to a tornado w/o actually being a tornado. So we have had no power since Wednesday. You heard me right. Three small children at home and no power. Luckily, the weather has been very nice but still no power has made for some interesting challenges.

First off, no lights in the bathroom. The shower in our bedroom (the one with the nice window in it) is out of commission due to a hole I put through the wall when I was pregnant with the triplets and I was trying to shave my legs, but that's another story. So we just have the bathroom in the hallway with no lights anywhere close. Lesson number one, showering in pitch black is way hard. Lesson number two, I didn't realize how much electricity I used. For cooking, for entertainment, for getting ready. No way to cook anything, so we have been eating out every meal b/c we can't even keep jelly cold in the fridge. Lesson three, neighbors can be very kind. Last night, our next door neighbor, who has power, lent us an extension cord to plug one power strip into. So we have to decide what we can wean down to six plug ins. Number one, TV of course. Number two, a fan. Number three, Tivo. Number four, another extension cord that runs to the kids room and plugs into their power strip so they can have their lamp, their purifier, and their noise machine. Number five, a lamp. Number six, we leave that open so we can use it for my hair dryer which has to run on low as so not to blow up the whole house.

So needless to say, I'm ready for some electricity. They said hopefully by Saturday evening. You may be asking yourself, "Well Lindsay, if you don't have any power, how are you blogging?" Good question my loyal readers. I am relaxing comfortably in a hotel in Norman, OK. We had already planned to come to Norman for my brothers birthday and the OU spring game so it worked out well. Tomorrow, I will enjoy a shower with the lights on, a full speed hair dryer, and a breakfast that is not bananas and dry cereal! Hooray! No pics tonight, because I'm on my Dad's computer but I'll put some up, just as soon as my home rejoins the pleasures known since the late eighteen-hundreds. Keep your fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh wow...I thought I had it bad the other day with no electricity for an hour with the kids. You are a pioneer woman! And I love that the tv was your 1st plug in choice...totally would have been ours too!

Momma-of-5 said...

I'm totally feeling your pain about the power! We had a storm here about a month ago and it blew the transformer at the end of the street. My Nanny was here with the babies, but the "Biggies" were out with us. As crazy as it is trying to take care of infants without power (I really am sorry) it's crazy trying to explain it to a 5 & 4 year old. They just kept asking us to change the lightbulbs!

Hang in there. This will be one of those things you'll look back on and grow through...=)

Joy said...

Oh man...that does not sound like fun! You have a much better attitude than I would have in that situation. And, I love the extension cord list...LOVE IT! I'm hoping that you are back up and running at this point!