Tuesday, May 19, 2009

8 Tubes, 8 Ears, 8 Minutes

Well Friday went great. We checked in at the hospital at 7:30am. Luckily, we didn't have to wait long at all. They took us back almost immediately, and then the process began. The blood pressures, the questions, the hospital gowns, the breathing treatments, etc. And then it was time to wait. I was worried the kids would start to get hungry, but the playroom was awesome and they stayed so busy they didn't even realize they were starving. Charlie on the other hand, knew he was hungry and couldn't quite understand why I wouldn't let him eat. They came and took Carter and Jake back to the induction room to give him his "giggle juice". Then they came and took Charlie straight back to the operating room. He is too young to need the relaxing medicine. They came and got me, Huddy, Ella and Jake's parents and took us to the induction room to wait with Jake and Carter. As soon as we turned the corner, my stomach dropped. We were going to the exact same room we waited in for Carter's first surgery. It was exactly the same. Same color, same smell, same sounds, same chair I sat in touching his incubator. It took me a minute, but the eight year old little boy that just had his giggle juice was hilarious, so that kind of diverted my attention. They came to get Carter and told me Charlie was done and in recovery. I didn't know where to go, Charlie was done, Carter going, and Ella and Hudson were still waiting. Jake and his parents were there but I was torn and didn't know who needed me most. Luckily by the time I got around to the recovery room, Charlie and Carter were there and Hudson and Ella were on there way. We waited in the recovery room for a while, while the big kids ate Popsicles. Then they wheeled us out in the wagons. Hudson got sick in the car on the way home. But after that, it went pretty smoothly. They were totally wired from the anesthesia, but after a nap, you would have never known they had anything done. Overall, I think it went as smoothly as one could hope. Thanks for all the prayers.

6 comments:

Susan said...

That's too bad your having a problem with blog site and pictures. I agree with you and hospital gowns on kids having semi normal stuff done. I'm glad it worked out. I found myself telling my hubby over the weekend about this blogger family with all these kids having their ear tubes at once ;) My oldest had it and had the same reaction. By evening, ya never knew he had been at the hospital!! I'm glad your whole group took it well.

Annie said...

Thanks God everything went fine and all the kids are feeling well.

I have problems to check your blog. I don't know what happen.

Following Him said...

YAHOO for all 8 ears being tubed! Glad it was quick, painless, and not too terrible :)
~Elyse

Barbara Manatee said...

so glad all went well!!

jay_say said...

YEA! I've been thinking about you. So glad to hear you had a great experience.

Cindy (and Brian) said...

Glad it all went well but PHEW, you are amazing. So much at once. Glad its over!