Monday, October 19, 2009

Hands and Feet and Mouth, OH MY!!!

Poor Charlie has come down with Hand Foot and Mouth disease. Friday evening, we took the train to Dallas to participate in some OU/Texas festivities (more on that later). When we loaded up in the car at 5:28 he was perfectly fine. We rode the train and walked around downtown for a while. About 6:40, I looked at him, and he did not look good. His cheeks were bright red, he was all slumped over in his seat, just looking terrible. I felt his forehead and he was burning up. So we run to catch the train home, the next one was an hour later, and caught it just on time. He was on fire, screaming his head off, and I could not console him. After about ten minutes of this, I started crying. It was the first time I've not been able to get one of the kids to stop crying by holding them. I was just so worried, he got so sick, so quick. I'm not freakishly overprotective, or worrisome about illness, but this time I was a little nervous. I started stressing that it was the swine flu. Everyone down here has it and he's only had half his flu shot, because they ran out before he got the other half. He kept crying, then puked on the floor and luckily, we made it back to our station. After a few more hours of screaming he fell asleep. He cried throughout the night and his fever never got any better. I called the after hours line and they told me, do the Tylenol thing, keep him hydrated, keep an eye on him, etc. So the next morning, he wasn't any better and I was able to get into the weekend doc really quickly. They tested him for the flu, which was negative, thank the Lord, and then they diagnosed him with hand, foot and mouth. Which is viral, so we just have to wait it out. He slept most of the day Saturday, most of the day Sunday, and by Sunday evening, he was felling better. He slept great last night, and has been almost back to normal today. The other kids have not shown any signs of getting it yet, and hopefully it will stay that way. I'm a Lysol spraying, Clorox wiping machine. And so far it seems to be working.

This is Charlie baby on the train half an hour before he got sick, look how cute and healthy he looks!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Poor baby (you too!). Glad he's feeling better!!

Susan said...

Awh...look how cute and big Charlie is. That's too bad. Glad he is feeling better. I have heard about that disease but really don't know much about it. I understand the lysol/clorax routine though. Hoping it works for you.