Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2011 - The Year of Me

Yes, that's what I'm calling 2011, "The Year of Me". Selfish, yup, probably, but I don't care, so there. I always heard that once you have kids, it's all about them, you take a backseat to their every need and want. Well I've tried that, and while I will NEVER, EVER put my needs or wants above my kids or my husband, something had to give. I was tired, cranky, and wasn't enjoying all of the small things in life. So I woke up one morning and decided, only I can change this, this is going to be "The Year of Me". And I'm here to prove, "selfish" is not always a "bad" trait.

I have decided I need to take better care of myself. I need to take care of myself the same way I take care of everybody else. I need to take care of my mental health, the way I take care of everybody else's mental health. It's not fair to me and especially not fair to Jake and my kids for me to not be the best person/wife/mom I can be. Now I'm not talking drastic life changes here, just little things here and there. I'm going to get my hair cut every six weeks, sure it's just at the beauty college, but it makes me feel better about myself. I'm going to give myself a manicure once a week, nothing fancy, just a little clear paint, but it will make me feel better about myself. I'm going to get up a little earlier every morning and shower and do my hair, not because I have to, but it makes me feel better about myself. It may seem silly that I need to feel good about myself to be at my best, but hey, that's who I am, and it's time I own it. Some people may not agree with this, but it's working for me and my family! So far this year, I'm happier, more laid back, enjoying all the small stuff and having more fun with my family than I have since before the triplets were born. Selfish, yeah! But when my kids are grown and have kids of their own, I want them to know it's OK to be a little bit selfish, especially when it makes you a better person/spouse/parent. And who wouldn't want to be the best person for these guys!


Come to think of it, with me making my family's life so much better, really, I'm not selfish, I'm just awesome. OK, that was a little pompous, but hey, it's "THE YEAR OF ME"!!! HaHaHa!!!

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Awesome post!

gramma27 said...

Love reading your blog...I have done this very thing since my twins were born...39 yrs ago..:)

Melissa said...

I couldn't agree more! Here's to you!

BourneFamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BourneFamily said...

I love this!!

Ashhog said...

I don't think that makes you selfish at all! It definitely makes you an even better mom! :)

Barbara Manatee said...

Good for you!!!

As a mom and teacher, I feel like I'm always on the run and busy helping everyone else too. There are times when I get SO overwhelmed by it all but thankfully have several outlets for myself.

Enjoy the new you! :-)

Tim and Darcy said...

Totally agree!!! My triplets just turned 3 and I have recently started thinking I NEED to start caring about me again. Nothing wrong with wanting to feel good about yourself :)

Susan said...

Love the post and agree 100%. You must have "me" time to be a better person for everyone else. You go!!