Thursday, January 12, 2012

Recycled crayons

One cold Saturday morning, we decided to recycle some broken crayons. We had so many broken ones, but I didn't want to throw them away, so we came up with a plan to give them new life. It was getting close to Christmas, so we thought some Christmas themed craons would be fun. The kids did a great job seperating the crayons and peeling all the paper off (way bigger mess than I had originally anticipated). It was an all day process between seperating, peeling paper, breaking crayons, filling candy molds, "baking" crayons, cooling crayons,then coloring with the crayons, but the kids enjoyed it and we ended up some fun little gifts for their goody bags for their class Christmas party!<

First we seperated them by color, and then tore all the paper off. "College Gameday" helped make this process a little more enjoyable for Jake and I!

Then we filled the candy molds with the crayons. I thought "fill them to the top" was an adequate explanation, but after finding two and three little crumbs in some candy molds, I decided maybe I should "help", despite the protests of "we can do it by ourselves!"




It did take a little longer than I had anticipated to "bake" them, Charlie thought so too!



In the end, we ended up with some pretty cute crayons!

No comments: