Monday, September 10, 2012

Carter and Charlie's Tonsilectomy

This past spring/summer Carter and Charlie both had to have their Tonsils and Adenoids out.  Charlie's was discovered at a regular checkup and Carter's was spotted when he started snoring and had HORRIBLE breath!  We went to our fave ENT and he was shocked they were not suffocating in their sleep.  Their tonsils were both so large they were touching and their throats were almost swollen shut.  Makes a mom feel pretty good about her parenting skills when a doc tells you that, huh?!

Charlie was up first in March. He did great, initially.... The first day, went really smoothly and then he refused to take ANY medicine, not even Tylenol, so you can imaging how great he must have been feeling. At one point, Jake and I tried to hold him down and give him some because he was crying and bawling that his throat hurt. Not a great move considering he spit it out of his mouth and then threw up. Sweet! On about day five he started refusing to eat or drink. We tried EVERYTHING. Hard candy, gum, Gatorade, Sprite, all his favorite things that he usually doesn't get and nothing worked. So after he spiked a fever, I called the ENT, he called me right back and said to get him to the ER. Six hours later, he was hydrated and feeling better. He very slowly got back to normal. It was a LONG few weeks!

Headed to Surgery!  He said "I'm gonna SO brave!"

He was pretty weepy from the time we go there until they too him back

Taking pictures of himself proved to be a small distraction

Just waking up

Freshly showered and feelin' pretty good the first nigh

Hour one at the hospital, looking pretty pitiful

By hour six, we were feelin' pretty good!


Next up was Carter.  We were a little concerned about how he would do.  He is by far, our most emotional child.  Any little thing can set him off, and even talking about surgery would send him into a tailspin.  Luckily he was scheduled early, so I had to wake him up to head to the hospital and it didn't give him much time to think about.  We took a little set of Legos and much to my surprise, he didn't cry one time and unlike Ella and Charlie, when they gave him the "giggle juice" he was three sheets to the wind and it was a great comical distraction for me!  He did AWESOME the first day.  We had a really hard time keeping him sitting down.  He was playing golf, flipping on the couch and asking to go to the pool.  He ate and drank a ton when we got home so we were feeling pretty good about our chances for a smooth recovery.  Day two and three were pretty rough.  I had a small emotional breakdown because I couldn't get him to eat or drink.  Do you know how exhausting it is to say "Take a big drink" every four minutes?!  Add to that the fact that he WOULD. NOT. SLEEP.  I was a mess.  But, he recovered, I recovered and by day five we were pretty much back to normal!
Ready to go!

I'm a sucker for a healthy kid in a hospital gown

After surgery Popsicle
 

This is about four hours after surgery.  Yeah, seriously!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, it's my first visit at this site, and post is actually fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these content.

Feel free to surf to my blog post; ミュウミュウ

Anonymous said...

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

Feel free to visit my website ... コーチ

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your
point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when
you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

my blog post :: クリスチャンルブタン

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this web site regularly, if so afterward you will
definitely obtain nice experience.

My weblog - トリーバーチ